pi ... Why the Name?
The Greek letter pi, π
The number π is a mathematical constant, the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, approximately equal to 3.14159. It has been represented by the Greek letter "π" since the mid-18th century though it is also sometimes spelled out as "pi".
Every business needs a name. We spent a lot of time brainstorming, using last names, generic names, industry terminology, etc., but finally settled on pi. Why?
- Evidence based investing- We invest using an evidence based, or academically based, philosophy. This academic philosophy uses many mathematical terms in laying out its evidence. Many Greek letters represent investment or mathematical concepts. Pi, also written “π”, has an academic nature to it and we wanted to embrace that perspective.
- Mathematical constant- The number π is a mathematical constant, a real number that is significantly interesting in some way. In life, like in math, we use constants and variables to solve problems. We believe it is our responsibility to help our clients discover the financial constants in their lives and then discuss the different financial variables that impact their future wealth goals.
- Logo- Let’s be honest, if we were good at the creative part of marketing and branding, we probably wouldn’t be good at the numbers! The Greek letter pi can be written with the familiar π. It made the branding easy.
- Irrational #- In mathematics, an irrational number is any real number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of integers. We also know that being human causes us to be irrational. From the food we buy, to the clothes we wear and decisions we make, some of our decisions are not entirely based on logic and reasoning. When we make financial decisions, the human factors must be considered, weighed and applied. Blending the science of investing and the art of understanding people is what makes us different in executing the craft of financial advising.
- Unique #- pi, or π, is a unique number. It cannot be expressed exactly as a common fraction and its decimal representation never ends or settles into a permanent repeating pattern. We believe that every client is unique and clients don’t fit into cookie-cutter approaches to solving your financial challenges.
- Complexity- Most of us associate π with the complexity of math. It conjures up memories of frustration dealing with difficult concepts. We understand the complex financial concepts you are trying to turn into future reality can be intimidating, time-consuming or even overwhelming. Let us help be the tutor and make these real life homework problems get solved.
- Easy to remember/Referrals- The name of our firm, like the number is very unique. It is easy to remember. Even the confusion of asking or thinking, “Pie…like apple pie?” causes the name to stick. The greatest compliment we receive is a referral from an existing client or professional. We wanted to make that referral process even easier with a simple name.
Any suggestions to add to the list? We welcome the ideas!